Monday, February 8, 2016

Norwegian Wood

So I just finished reading and watching this book and the only thing I complained to myself is that I didn't understand the ending or the ending was not what I expect it would be. Overall, I like the book and this is my Murakami's first book ever and I think he left me with a good impression so it's good enough for me to want to read his another masterpiece. Mostly I think this book about growing up, living in the 20s and how to deal with death-suicide. 

Toru Watanabe is the main character in this story. He moved to Tokyo from Kobe because his bestfriend (Kizuki) just killed himself just right after Toru was playing with him. The thing is that Toru didn't understand is why Kizuki killed himself because he didn't show anything to him his weakness or even his problems and just one day he decided to kill himself. Toru was pretty devastated like he said in the book, it feels like he's just lost one of his souls taken away. It's not that Toru that have an impact after Kizuki's death but also Kizuki's girlfriend-bestfriend since childhood and Naoko is also Toru's first love. I think Naoko was really depressed since Kizuki's death I mean, who can deal with that kind of situation? But Naoko has Toru on her side to help her and he loves her to death I guess. 

Then the story is actually involved on Toru's life like how he didn't have any friend because mostly he enjoyed solitude and then one day he became friend with Nagasawa (a rich kid) just because he saw Toru reads The Great Gatsby. Nagasawa has some charisma like all girls will like him straightaway when he starts to talk. So Nagasawa also teachs Toru how to get a girl etc like at that and let me tell you this book has a lot of mature contents as in a lot. Anyway, they became good friend and one thing that I don't like from the movie is that they didn't show that Nagasawa book in the movie. I mean sure the person who play Nagasawa has some that charisma but the lines or conversation between Nagasawa is not enough.Toru meets Midori, a very quirky girl, short hair and has a boyfriend. She actually on the same class with him in drama class. I actually like this Midori character because she's weird, innocent nad yet she likes to tell the truth or is like she likes to say what's on her head. Toru spends his sunday almost with her and it came to the moment when he has to choose either Naoko or Midori.


Naoko, Toru and Midori in Norwegian Wood movie (2011)

One thing that I appreciate this book more than the movie adaptation (as always book always way better than the movie) is that the movie didn't really give each characters enough lines to speak or maybe it's just me that I don't really understand how a japanese movie what it is like. Anyway, I like every casts who plays Toru, Naoko (they have perfect cast on this two person) but for Midori, Nagasawa and Reiko, I don't think they have that enough lines to speak that makes those characters are a bit different than in book. I thought Midori is going to be really weird and quirky girl, I mean Kiko Mizuhara as Midori is a perfect option but I don't it's enough to say that the movie Midori is equal to book Midori. Anyway, I like this book, it's like one of those books that will give you lessons of life and down here I will put my favorite quotes from this book.

" What did I want? And what did others want from me? But I could never find the answers. "
" I don't know, sometimes I think I've got this hard kernel in my heart and nothing much can get inside. "
" It's stupid being 20, I'm just not ready. It feels weird. Like somebody's pushing me from behind."
"It's because I hated the place so much, I wasn't going to let it beat me. If I'd let it get to me once I'd be finished."
"You're normal, I've got tons of things I don't understand about myself. We're both normal: Ordinary."
"It's ok letting out of feelings. The scary thing is not being able to do that. When your feelings build up and harden and die inside, then you're in big trouble.
 "I didn't have much to say to anybody but kept to myself and my books. With my eyes closed. I would touch a familiar book and draw it's fragrance deep inside me. This was enough to make me happy."

No comments: