Thursday, February 11, 2016

The Wrath and The Dawn by Renee Ahdieh Review

Title: The Wrath and The Dawn
Author : Renee Ahdieh
My rating:  4.3/5

This book was inspired by One Thousands and One Night's tale or Arabian Night where once upon a time there was a king who was betrayed by his wife because he found that she was cheating on him. So he punished her by killing her at dawn then he swore to himself that he will marry virgins only for every dawn he will kill them, But then one girl, just the night before she was supposed to die she told some stories to the king and when the stories is not finished yet it is already dawn and the king still wants her to continue the stories and then it begins until 1,001 nights.

" A sumptuous and epically told love story inspired by A Thousand and One Nights

Every dawn brings horror to a different family in a land ruled by a killer. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, takes a new bride each night only to have her executed at sunrise. So it is a suspicious surprise when sixteen-year-old Shahrzad volunteers to marry Khalid. But she does so with a clever plan to stay alive and exact revenge on the Caliph for the murder of her best friend and countless other girls. Shazi’s wit and will, indeed, get her through to the dawn that no others have seen, but with a catch . . . she’s falling in love with the very boy who killed her dearest friend.

She discovers that the murderous boy-king is not all that he seems and neither are the deaths of so many girls. Shazi is determined to uncover the reason for the murders and to break the cycle once and for all "
I love this book, the story, the characters and everything. What I love from this book is it's quite different than other fantasy books I have read before. It involves with the Arabian kingdom and some Arabic terms so it's really new to me. It was a vengeance the reason Shahrzad volunteered as the next bride of the King. It was because of her best friend since childhood who died because of the Caliph of Khorasan. But what she didn't realized is that the reason why the king has to kill every new bride for every dawn. It's all in the book the reason why Khalid has to do that but he can't kill Shazi because she was different. It's like he just found his emotional tether.Shazi is smart, fearless and pretty good at archery. She eventually falling in love with the king she was supposed to kill and trust me all the moments when they were together are so oh, very romantic if I must say. I think it's because they needed each other and they can't just be apart. Anyway, I just love this book so much. Every words from this story are just beautiful. I love how the author choosing her words on this book. So as always, I will put my favorite quotes and some extra a photo edits I found from Tumblr. I really recommend this book if you guys like a fantasy book. A different kind of fantasy book.

"I know my words only carry a certain weight with the worlds, but I do know enough to realize you cannot control the actions of others. You can only control what you do with yourself afterward."
"Some things exist in our lives for but a brief moment. And we must let them go on to light another sky."
"In my life, the one thing I have learned above all is that no individual can reach the height of their potential without the love of others. We are not meant to be alone, Shahrzad. The more a person pushes others away, the clearer it becomes he is in need of love the most."
 
 Khalid's letter to Shazi. This is so sweet and sad. Credits: tumblr
 Shazi's aesthetics.
Khalid's and Shazi's aesthetics.

No comments: